Thursday, December 3, 2009

Final Diagnostic Essay Draft: True Life- I am a Dispatcher

Go here for more pics.

I can honestly say that I love my job and for most of society they can’t say that. I am currently a dispatcher for, Century Towing, a well known towing and recovery company in Virginia Beach. This company is somewhat like a tight knit family and most jobs aren’t like that. My employer actually cares about the people who work for him. This is the best job I have ever had.

I have learned a lot since I’ve been working. However, dealing with irate vehicle owners and keeping your cool is something not learned over night. A couple months ago a customer walked into the office and wanted to retrieve their vehicle. It was towed off of the interstate by the State Police. The police call us and we tow the vehicle for them. But the customer thought that we just ride up and down the interstate looking for cars to tow. I tried explaining to her that the police had her car towed and she needs to contact them for further assistance. From this point on it gets worse. She starts yelling and cursing telling me how I am a crook and how could I do this to her.

Finally, I had to take control. I said, “Ma’am there is nothing I can do for you and you yelling isn’t going to change the situation, if you don’t want to pay the bill you can leave.” She looked at me for like 15 seconds and didn’t say anything. I think she was in awe that someone told her no. She then asked, in a very polite tone, “ What is the number for the state police?” I told her and she walked out. I don’t mind helping customers in fact it’s the main part of my job. I just don’t like being yelled at and called something that I’m not. That was the first time I have ever stood up to a customer.

On the other hand not all customers I deal with are mad. One afternoon on a Saturday I was about to close up the shop and gentleman walked in. he told me he needed to get some personal belongings out of the car. I assured him that was fine and he went outside and preceded to his vehicle. But this wasn’t just any vehicle it was a 2005 Hummer Army general edition. General Motors only made a set number of these models so they were hard to come by. The man took about 15 minutes to collect his items and he took a few pictures. I finished closing up and I walked outside to take out the trash. When he was finished he walked out of the tow compound and we talked for a few minutes. He described the crash to me and told me about the Hummer. After we finished talking he handed me a twenty dollar bill and said “Thanks for taking care of my baby.” I was shocked I didn’t even really do anything but hey I’ll take it.

My job is like no other, it really is one of a kind. Not everyone can handle the highly demanding job of dispatcher. Staying calm and remaining focused is essential to doing well on this field of work. I love my job and not a lot of people can say that for themselves.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you liked that failblog photo of the "push this button if the customer is annoying."

    I don't have to deal with irate retail customers anymore unless, sometimes, the student thinks they are a customer.

    ReplyDelete